Thursday, March 16, 2017

SPD and Safe Exercises.....Evaluated by Yours Truly


Hm, working out?

So here mostly lies my pelvis issues:



Picture courtesy of http://www.pregmed.org/symphysis-pubis-dysfunction-spd.htm

What it really comes down to is that there are ligaments that are supposed to hold the front of your pelvis together. Mine don't anymore. So there are muscles there trying their best to do the job. Problem being that muscles are stretchy and have to be constantly tensed to hold something still. So just existing right now is basically asking all my pelvic muscles to be tensed all the time - and even more so to stand, walk, or step up or down. This is exacerbated even more with more speed, more weight, or having my knees further from each other - as that spreads pelvis more, making it harder to hold it all together.

Why I didn't go back together nicely after delivery, I'm not sure. My previous medical history involving super loose knees and a tendon that surprisingly tore with little warning and no acute trauma leads me to think that I don't have the best ligaments/tendons out there - maybe they're slightly too loose naturally, or maybe they are rather brittle and prone to tear, or just thin and weak. Maybe the traumatic delivery and the fact that while they were doing surgery I was in unimaginable pain that caused pretty much every muscle in my body to be tensed up while they were cutting was a big factor. I don't know - and while I wait on my insurance company to get me cards I can't even get further medical feedback. I was totally blown off at 8 weeks postpartum. 


Just cuz we're cute
  • Swimming - safe activity so far.
  • Elliptical - 
    • Initial testing: Debatable at best. I can't shorten the strides enough for comfort. So I did it on very very low resistance, with the least amount of incline possible, and it was painful for 2.5 days afterward, but definitely less painful than the bike. Second attempt pretty much the same as the first, but pain only lasted 1.5, so better I suppose?
    • One month later: I can do this. I have managed to do a program with variable resistance built in. I am sore for 2 days afterwards, but not the painful broken sore, just using muscles sore. 




  • Reclined bike - 
    • Initial testing: If I stay at less than 20% of max resistance, it's mostly OK - but still icky for a few days afterward - leaves lower back sore as well. I'm just not interested in trying a more upright bike after this - that's definitely going to try to spread pelvis out the way riding a horse would.
    • One month later: Much much better, but still much more traumatic than the elliptical or ladder machine. Still haven't tried upright bike and have no immediate plans to do so. This is OK to do for a few minutes - but doing a full 25 minute cardio workout on it isn't in the current picture.


  • Ladder machine (picture for reference) - 
    • Initial testing: This is a super cool thing, and I think this may be the key to slowly managing to get my pelvis back into shape. That being said it is all about relatively high step ups which are hard and painful. I started with 5 minutes slowly. Next time I'm thinking more like 2 minutes. Not just the symphysis pain happened, but it also through off my SI (sacroiliac) joints as well - leaving those painful for a few days.
    • One month later: This seems to have seriously helped my pelvis. The step ups aren't as hard anymore. I do 5 minutes of this at the end of each cardio session. Hoping to add to that slowly - but for now 5 minutes is good.



3/4 side view


Kinda intimidating from behind it

  • Pull ups with machine assist - 
    • Initial testing: Getting onto machine is a real pain - I can't step up 2' onto the foot rests to get on so I have to pull the kneeling pad all the way to the ground, step on it, then use arms to pull it up and then shift my knees onto it. Once on though - I can do it. However, if I engage core too much it pulls on pelvis.
    • One month later: Doing well. I can now actually get up on the machine alright by myself, and I'm beginning to drop the amount of weight assistance.


  • Treadmill -
    • Initial testing: Well, I can walk on it. Period. So I might as well walk outside with Legan if it's not terrible outside.
    • One month later: Doing a little better. I've set up a routine where I walk for 1 min, slowly jog for 2 min, walk 1, jog 2, walk 1, jog 1, walk 2 and be done. This does leave me sore for a few days, but a relatively mild sore. Not one that causes shooting pains when I try to roll over in bed. When I can get to the point of running 30 minutes on a treadmill - then I'll try a 10 minute run outside. The terrain changes and wind resistance and such will probably take a huge toll on me. I won't even up the incline on the treadmill until I can go 10 minutes straight without stopping. 

  • Arm strength training machines - 
    • Initial testing: OK, as long as I don't put on too much weight and therefore have to over tighten core - as that seems to pull pelvis up uncomfortably. So it's a slow process, but I've always been happier with high reps/low weight.
    • One month later: Still working through slowly, but I have 8 machines that I use on a rotating basis, 4-5 per session. I have been able to increase the weight, and the soreness of abs and pelvis has decreased.


  • Leg strength training machines -
    • Haven't tried at all. Most of the cardio I do is leg based, and I have decided not to do any lateral leg strength training until I can run comfortably - if ever.
  • Ab machines - 
    • Pretty much in the same boat as leg strength, with one slight exception. I use a leg lift style tower similar to this one to do 2 sets of 12 leg lifts, bent knee. That's about my max considering that abs also play strongly into all arm machines, the elliptical, and the ladder machine.

So there it is. I'm trying really hard to get to be an athlete again. It's very hard on me because this whole recovery has been physically way harder than expected. Way harder than I've ever heard even from moms who had c-sections and who didn't go through pregnancy fit. I shouldn't still have any pain 9 months later, but I do.

I'm hoping to ride horses again. Maybe even a bike one day, but that's less important. 

For reference, in 2013 I tore the tendon on the bottom of my foot. I didn't walk for more than 2 months. I wore a boot for 5 ish months. I was able to run like 5-6 minutes without pain though starting at about 6-7 months out. I was able to do SOME yoga, even modified, like 3 days post injury. That injury could have potentially ended my running career. Therefore, I have a hard time understanding why pregnancy and surgery which are both much more common than my tendon injury dealt me such an awful blow.

It IS improving, but so slowly. I hope to hike this summer. I hope to ride my horse pain free one day. I hope to do a 5K again. I REALLY want to do at least one more Tough Mudder in my life, especially while NOT pregnant. 

Current workout plan on gym days: 25 minutes on elliptical to start. Followed by my walk/run routine on the treadmill. I'm using 3 mph for walking and 6 mph for running - as 6 mph is the max speed I've been happy consistently running for years now. Then 5 minutes on the ladder machine, followed up by 4 of the arm machines, 2 quick sets on the ab tower, and 2 quick sets of assisted pull ups. 

On off days, I try to get a long walk in plus maybe 3 sets of squats, some baby throwing around, and a plank or yoga pose or two - just to keep from being totally lazy. Add in a bar shift and one barn run, and I feel reasonably active. Warmer weather will help. I may try some light tennis (played VERY badly) or badminton (played SIGNIFICANTLY better, but not good really.)

We'll see!




At home weight lifting


Walking in our cute hats



Apparently it's more exhausting to be carried than to carry


This is Legan doing his workouts - he HATES being in this position...


In fact, he'd rather try to crawl in this position...


Practicing pigeon pose...


...on both sides


This is my real workout - carrying 2 large babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment