Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Mom Win Vs Mom Fail

It's amazing what a roller coaster of a day you can have with an infant. I don't know how many assumptions I made about how I would spend my days as a SAHM (stay at home mom), but a good chunk of them were totally wrong. Granted, I was expecting to have a really hard time leaving the house and I was fully prepared to be covered in all sorts of bodily fluids so at least I wasn't ENTIRELY delusional.




Either way I wanted to share some of my favorite Mom Wins and Mom Fails.

Win #1 & FAIL #1: Legan had only been home maybe 3 weeks and I took him on an outing to my favorite local baby store. Mostly I think I just wanted to get out and show him off a little, and I did need some diaper supplies. Of course he got hungry because it took almost an hour to get him packed up and to get over there. So I nursed him in public (not the hospital) for the very first time, all snuggled together in their mommy area. I was SO proud of myself. Not 10 minutes later of course I had to change him, and he managed to pee all over EVERY SINGLE OUTFIT I had with me and his changing pad....and my hands and pants. Whoops!


Not from that incident, but this is how he felt about breastfeeding at the time!

Win #2: A mom friend and I went to Brookfield Zoo. She has a 5 year old and 3 year old, plus her little guy was 3 weeks old. Legan was 5 weeks at the time. We managed on a 90 degree day to spend about 4 hours at the zoo, get everyone fed, no one overheated and no real meltdowns. Total win!


Proof we went to the zoo!

Win #3: We made it to an 8 am lactation appointment at the hospital, with him hungry but not screaming when he was about 8 weeks old. Need I say more?


Some days he's pretty darn happy when he's woken up!

Fail #2(& 3): My changing table is next to my computer desk, specifically my computer is to the right of the changing table. After an incident involving a screaming baby, a poopy computer, and the remaining clean diapers in the house being in the line of fire I started facing his "cannons" to the left. This DID mean swapping to changing him left handed, but I'm generally pretty ambidextrous so this honestly wasn't an issue at all for me. Not 2 days after I made the switch (and spent probably 2 hours cleaning up my desk, computer, and wrapping the baby in non-fitting huge cloth diapers while the rest were in the wash) he prepared to get me again. I heard the ominous rumbling of doom, managed to get a diaper up but not quite close enough. The "bomb" ricocheted off of the diaper and onto the cream colored carpet. Sigh. 


I took no photos of those fails. So here's a cute pic instead, from after washing him up.


And here's my new favorite mom outfit - this is what I wear to maximize boob access and comfort, in addition to soaking up spit up. A lot of spit up.



Fail #4: The sauce incident. The photos really say it all. Due to our house sharing situation we are using our linen closet as a makeshift pantry, and while I was trying to reorganize our foodstuffs to get out some oatmeal for breakfast a plastic jar of spaghetti sauce came tumbling down. Some splashed up onto the ceiling onto the matte paint...it will never be the same.




Win #4: Mostly just this adorable little monster. He's pretty freaking adorable.



Showing off cute diapers!


Happy bug outfit for my bug!



Adorable cloth diaper!


Happy first time in the exersaucer!


Big boy cloth diaper, and the reminder that we're new in this together!


Our current favorite outfit!


So happy his hands disappeared!


Some of my favorite times nowadays are first thing in the morning when he's all warm and snuggled up to me. 

And my new favorite video of happy baby sounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment